October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. On Friday, October 12, Charlotte Gastro showed our support by wearing PINK!
Here are some key statistics about breast cancer, according to the American Cancer Society:
- In the U.S., there are 4,750 new cases of breast cancer each day.
- It is the most common cancer for women, other than skin cancer.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women (only lung cancer kills more women each year).
- Death rates from female breast cancer dropped 39% from 1989-2015—believed to be the result of finding breast cancer earlier through screening and increased awareness, as well as better treatments.
- Men can also be diagnosed with breast cancer, although it’s not nearly as common. As a comparison, the ACS estimates that there will be 2,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer diagnosed in men versus 266,120 in women.